by Kelley Freeman
This is an old pattern, but posting for documentation's sake.
Ch - chain
dc - double crochet
bpdc - backpost double crochet
bptr - backpost triple crochet
fpdc - front post double crochet
sl st - slip stitch
** repeat what it is inside asterisks*
I used one skein of Bamboo Ewe by Debbie Stoller, but really any worsted weight yarn will do.
I used an H hook!
Note: You will probably want to keep a stitch marker as to where you end, as this is crochet in the round!
1. Magic circle, or ch 4 and dc 12. Pull tight. (12)
2. bpdc increase around. (24)
3. *bpdc in next stitch, bpdc increase* (36)
4. *bpdc in next two stiches, bpdc increase* (48)
5. *bpdc in next three stitches, bpdc increase* (60)
6. *bpdc in next four stitches, bpdc increase* (72)
This is as far as I usually increase for my hats. My head is approximately 21 inches around. If your head is larger, feel free to do another round of *bpdc in next six stitches, bpdc increase* but it is not necessary.
8. From here on, continue your hat, but rather than crocheting in bpdc, continue with bptr. Crochet around until hits the top of your ears.
9. When it hits the top of your ears, make your way to the back (should've had your stitch marker there!) and sl st into the hat.
10. Ch 3, then *fpdc, bpdc* around and join.
11. Repeat step 10 until you have three rows of ridges, or until satisfied with length of hat.
View of the hat from the top.
I realize these directions might be shaky/not definite enough, so let me know if there are any errors.
I can also crochet this hat for you if you do not know how. Feel free to make a request via my shop! It is not currently in there, but feel free to look through there. I have lots of other neat stuff for sale. :D
I also have a blog that posts my most recent project, so if you like what I've posted and want to see what's new (and/or request a pattern), follow me here!
And last but not least, you can fan me on Facebook.